Borno records second COVID-19 death, says Deputy Governor

The Borno Government on Wednesday announced a second death from Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

The Deputy Governor, Alhaji Umar Kadafur, who is also the Chairman of the State High Powered Committee on COVID-19, made this known on Wednesday while giving an update on the pandemic in the state.

“The deceased is from Biu town of and already his contacts have been traced.

“One of his contacts is a trader in Biu market. Following this development, the state government has ordered the closure of market for immediate fumigation.

“As of today, 144 contacts had been traced, 55 were tested and nine people tested positive including the two who died,” he said.

He urged the public to maintain hygiene and other precautionary measures advised by experts.

NAN reports that the first case was a retired anaesthetic nurse, who died at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital on Saturday.

NAN reports that following the confirmation of the COVID-19 index case in Borno, Gov. Babagana Zulum ordered a two-week total lockdown as from Wednesday.

Zulum, who made the declaration in a broadcast in Maiduguri on Monday, however, said the restriction would not apply to the providers of essential services.



Related

UK govt accused of slow response to virus outbreak

2 hours ago  World

ASUU rejects submission of BVN as condition for payment of withheld salaries

1 hour ago  Nigeria

Coronavirus ‘will be with us for a long time’: WHO

1 hour ago  World

Ganduje relaxes lockdown temporarily despite 73 cases of coronavirus

13 mins ago  Nigeria

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *